Other Requirements

Other export and import requirements may apply. For more information, consult the University of Pittsburgh - Environmental Health & Safety Department website. 


International shipments may also require other permits for entering or leaving the United States. 
An import permit may be required to deliver the package here in the U.S. even if the originating country does not require a permit.
When exporting a package from the United States, depending on the nature of the shipment, a U.S. export permit may be required. Additionally, an import permit may be required in the destination country where the package is being shipped. If the shipment requires an export permit, it must be completed and approved by the appropriate government agency prior to shipment. The entity you are shipping items to may be able to provide you with information about any permits required in the country receiving the shipment.
Some examples of permits:
  • U.S. DHHS/CDC Permits (42CFR, Part 71.54) - The Etiologic Agent Import Permit Program (EAIPP) of the CDC requires an import permit for all etiologic agents, biological materials, and hosts and/or vectors entering the U.S.
  • USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Permits - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) permits are required to import, domestically transfer, or export a plant pest, plant, biological agents, or other material.
  • U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Permits (50 CFR, Part 13) - Fish & Wildlife Service Permits cover a wide range of import/export regulations including the trapping, buying, selling, and trading of live animals (non-agricultural), preserved animal trophies, animal hides, and animal tissues.
  • Food and Drug Administration (FDA) - The Food and Drug Administration controls most food and other products that enter the U.S. Foods, drugs (human, animal, and biological), cosmetics, medical devices and radiation emitting devices, etc. offered for entry into the United States require a permit or registration. 
  • Canadian Import Regulations - Shipments of human, animal, or plant pathogens to Canada will require a Canadian import permit.

Shipments of hazardous and restricted materials

Some items are considered hazardous, and for shipping purposes, need to be packaged and labeled appropriately. These would include:
  • Biological products
  • Chemicals
  • Batteries and fuel cells
  • Radioactive items


See Also: Export Authorization  |   Shipping and Customs Documentation  |  Shipments Main